Monday, July 23, 2007

The pitfalls of Arena...

Bigredkitty has that wonderful x-bow from kara. You know the one, 79dps, lotsa nice mods.
I want its big brother. Merciless gladiator's x-bow of extreme pain and suffering.... 89 dps, and enough plus hit, crit, ap and resiliance to make a smear of any foo that insults the orcish race.
I'd link, but I'm at work, and can't access any of the fun sites...
Anyway, it looks awesome, like field artillery...
Only problem is... its 3500 arena points, and I only have 2000. How much do I get a week? ~300.
Of course, I blame Melvin.
Arena has driven me insane. Hunters are extremely difficult to use properly in arena. BM hunters are even more limited. True, I can match the damage of most classes, but I have diddly for interrupts unless I actually walk up to a caster and throw a trap under their feet.
Mabd the awesome, Mabd the proud, Mabd the orciesh of all orc hunters...
screwed by lack of versatility....
So in our 5 man, we have 2 pom mages (Melvin and Magebert, his brother), a shadow/disc priest, a deep fire mage (Taki, more on her later...) and two MS warriors.
And poor Mabd.
We shouldn't be losing. The strategy I've made for the group is simple... the 2 pom mages (who practice in their own 2v2) kill ONE thing at the start. The warrior and priest (who practice in their own 2v2), lock down something else. Mabd finds a healer or squishy, and does lovely lovely damage to it. A few seconds into fight, they should have one down, two chewed on, and the mages rotating to cause more damage to something else...
The problem...
"Melvin! Magebert! Why arent you attacking the same target?"
"How the hell am I supposed to know what HE's attacking?"
....
They have both been raiding for months with the guild. Melvin is a guild officer and on the progression team. And neither of them know target of a target or assist commands...
Which brings us to Taki, the last mage, and the cuckoo in our nest. Taki belongs to a real raiding guild, one that took her under their wings and taught her all sorts of neat things. Like a nifty focus macro that lets her poly one target while dpsing another...
When I saw her doing this in arena, I begged/threatened her for the details, which led me to wowwiki's macro page and all sorts of fun.
Magebert has the macro now, but doesnt like using it. Melvin can't be bothered. "Sounds too complicated..."
And yet... this last arena week, Melvin got it into his head (while watching Taki fight with such elan and skill...) that the best use of his talents was trying to keep a holy pally polymorphed while ignoring the rest of the fight... including the shadow priest that kept decursiving the pally, and the wonderful MS warriors that were killing everyone else...
Needless to say, our shadow priest, who was healing the entire fight, did more damage in these matches than Melvin, the arcane/fire pom mage.
Tonight Melvin and Magebert are goin out the the bone wastes with Mabd for a quick primer in group targeting... I will have my GEAR!

1 comment:

Kelmar40k said...

Yup, you should continue. You need pics and a banner tho.

Hit me up for what you want