Sunday, September 23, 2007

More on mend pet...


Sorry... I can't post screenshots at work, so I have to do it at home. But I blog at work... so sometimes I'll just post a screenshot and then fill in later...
K... the great mend pet trial is goin on. I need to spend a few more runs though netherwing mines to get a large enough sample. So its gonna take a week or so. I'm really burning the hell out on the game right now. However... prelim... NO DAMN WAY that it's a 50% chance to dispell any and all. Course, that could just be the result of 30 being a very small batch with which to test... when its closer to 100-150, I'll know better.
I posted this shot for the totally bizarro thing that happened... which might explain some of the mechanics of the talent... a failure to dispell result. Never seen this before... and the "You cast improved mend pet" line... we all remember the "You heartless beast! How can you sit and eat while your pet is sick!" bug...
Prob is, I've been doing mend pet a ton... and this is the first time I saw it. Hrm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must be missing something of significance, here.

Anonymous said...

Ah, with a story attached, it makes much more sense! :D

Well, sometimes debuffs have a resistance to being dispelled, so maybe that was an actual attempt to dispel with failure. As you can see, the message is not very elaborate. But it would mean that it did at least try.

I can read the tooltip numerous different ways. Maybe it makes an effort to dispel any random dispellable effect 50% of the time for each tick. Maybe it makes an attempt to dispel any random effect 50% of the time it's cast, ever, which is unlikely. Maybe it makes an effort to dispel a specific type of debuff - whether or not the pet has a debuff of that type - 50% of the time per tick. That could happen. If you got 5 ticks out of it, you'd have an 82-something% chance of it making an attempt to dispel a specific effect type once. I think. My statistics class was a long time ago, there was an incident with a knife and the police... my memory doesn't serve well.